As a coach your foundation conversation with your client is about understanding their view of their current situation and future goals. Often it’s helpful to use a scientifically valid and reliable psychometric measure to assist you to achieve a more complete and compelling conversation. This is more likely to lead to your client agreeing to and adopting practical and effective strategies or interventions.
I thoroughly recommend that you consider using the MTQ-Plus which is a normative test first developed and distributed in 2003 in the UK by Professor Peter Clough and AQR chief, Doug Strycharczyk and since used hundreds of thousands of times globally to measure mental toughness in individuals and organisations.
- It measures mental toughness (defined as resilience + confidence) through a short series of online questions, taking no more than 15 minutes to complete with a sub 24 hour turn around to receive results.
- It is very strong scientifically, having been rated highly in validity and reliability by both the British Psychological Society and US Department of Labor, as well as being the positive subject of hundreds of university studies globally.
- It produces 3 ‘easy to read and digest’ reports for the individual, their coach or manager and, if used for recruitment and selection purposes, the hiring manager.
- It encompasses a simple 4C framework which is easy for you, the coach, and your client to understand and then act upon using traditional interventions such as visualisation, positive reaffirmation, attentional control and others.
- It’s a contemporary measure covering an individuals ability to perform under stress and pressure and encompassing areas such as personal control, emotional management, confidence, goal setting ability, focus, growth vs fixed mindset, risk taking and influence.
- It is cost effective for you and your client.
- It has been used successfully in Australia and around the world the past 3-4 years in the corporate, education, health and sporting sectors for leadership, career transition and selection assignments.
We are holding an accreditation workshop in Sydney on Tuesday 10 July – cost $700 + GST
I became an accredited mental toughness practitioner after using the measure with some considerable success in many different scenarios. It is accurate and its simplicity helps my clients quickly grasp their current reality and what changes they need to remove their mental obstacles and improve their performance, positivity and wellbeing.
As a result we formed Mental Toughness Partners in May 2017 to distribute and market MTQ through our network of accredited Partners. You can become a Mental Toughness Partner by becoming accredited.
Paul Lyons is an experienced CEO who coaches leaders to improve their performance and wellbeing by developing their mental toughness.
View our range of workshops and coaching packages
Subscribe to receive regular updates of Mental Toughness.