15 Churchillian Quotes To Make You Mentally Tougher
Sir Winston Churchill was a monumental figure in British history and in his 90 years as a soldier, statesman, author and politician he was both revered and reviled. Whilst he divided opinions, there can be no doubt about his ability to demonstrate his mental strength through his quotes. He fervently believed in being courageous, in having a resolute purpose and defending it, being focused on your goal and never giving up nor being diverted by setbacks or failures.
Here are 15 of his most popular and mentally tough quotes, aligned to Clough and Strycharczyk’s MTQ48 4C’s mental toughness framework, which can’t help but make you feel mentally stronger.
Overall Mental Toughness
1. “The price of greatness is responsibility.”
Control – self worth and emotional management
2. “The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.”
3. “You have enemies? Good. It means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.”
4. “There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not to fear to do or say what you believe to be right.”
5. “It is wonderful what great strides can be made when there is a resolute purpose behind them.”
Commitment – reliability and focus
6. “You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
7. “We shall not fail or falter. We shall not weaken or tire. Neither the sudden shock of battle nor the long-drawn trials of vigilance and exertion will wear us down. Give us the tools and we will finish the job.”
8. “If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
9. “Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential.”
Challenge – drive and adaptability
10. “To improve is to change, so to be perfect is to change often.”
11. “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”
12. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.”
13. “Attitude is a little thing that makes a BIG difference.”
14. “Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.”
Confidence – self belief and influence
15. “Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities because it has been said, it is the quality which guarantees all others.”
For more on developing mental toughness and mentally tough quotes contact us.